I love Goodreads. It has been a great site for me to find books as well as note down my collection. I have even used it to collate and tag the physical books that I have. At one time I had even used the export to note the actual locations of my books 🙂
However some actions are still counterintuitive, specially the one where we can connect our Amazon buys to Goodreads. And having clicked left, right and center for the umpteenth time I thought I would document it for myself.
Where to go?
This is the most confusing part – how it is hidden away (at least it feels hidden away to me, Goodreads please don’t sue me 🙂 )
- Go to Account by clicking on your DP on the top right corner
- Click on Account Settings in the drop down
- Now comes the crazy part. This are the choices we have in account settings :
For the actions we expect to take, which it to connect our book purchase to our Goodreads, I would have expect someone to click on either Book Links or Purchases. Both these choices are incorrect. Probably for valid reasons. Book links are for which site you want your book links to go to and Purchases have something to do with the, and I quote, “Purchase history of book swaps, advertising campaigns, and e-books.” I don’t know what it means 🙂
So where do we need to go for our holy grail? The non intuitive page – apps
- So click on apps
What to do here?
- Go down to where you see Amazon. You can link your Amazon account here.
- Once linked you need to go regularly and click on the Add your Amazon book purchases. (I don’t mind this being a manual activity. I quite like doing it, as long as I can remember how to get here.
- Once you click through you will see a page with all your book purchases which have not already been added to Bookreads. For eg. my page today was,
It is important to note that even my Kindle Unlimited books show up here. (I seem to have been mistaken here. Looks like the Kindle Unlimited books do not show up as a purchase. That is a major bummer for me 😦 )
- The rest is elementary with Goodreads being it intuitive best. You can put it into various shelfs as usual
- Note: If there are books you are embarrassed of, or find no value of it populating your goodread shelfs you can just press on the Do not add and it will not show up again.
Connecting the books to Goodreads is an easy way to put the books I buy onto my shelf. It also helps me with my TBR list as Amazon’s own content listing is a pain. But I, for one, will surely need to revisit it to remember the path to Apps. Hope it is helpful to anyone reading this post. If anyone from Goodreads is reading this, can we make this a little more easier now that you are in the same company as Amazon. Which also brings up another point, How do i connect Audible purchases as easily?
I do love Goodreads.